Disruption in the classroom

As an educator I often do things differently, I don't know how to do otherwise. I don't want to do it the same as the others. I believe Mr 14 inherited this unfortunate trait, we both want to find out, but we want to find out for ourselves, in our own way, in our own time. Mr 14 has been described at best, "determined", I like the description, "disruptor" adding "disruptors, our future's innovators". As does often happen with our disruptors, they can be misunderstood and when my teaching practice was misunderstood, what others said mattered, I was expected to "fit in". When Mr 14 is misunderstood, he is sent outside, made to "think about what he is doing", made to apologise, he was expected to fit in.

Our "disruptive" students struggle with most school learning, every "task" is one or two or more steps removed from connection. We are expected to accept something "just because" but it is a reason we need - not learning to read but needing to know the story, not learning to count but needing to know how many, not learning to write but needing to write a message.

Comments